Luna Lobos Dog Sledding
Summer Camps 2015
Thank you for your interest in Luna Lobos Dog Sledding summer camps! We have quite the dog sled curriculum planned for this summer and we are glad you are here to join us and our 29 sled dogs!
- Luna Lobos is currently training to compete in Alaska’s well known Iditarod race. Iditarod is a sled dog race that traverses over a thousand miles of the planet’s most unforgiving terrain. There are no hotels to stay in overnight, you won’t find any drive thru restaurants, it’s just one musher, sixteen dogs and quite the adventure ahead of us!
- Head Musher: Fernando, running dogs for about twenty-two years. Fernando has been racing sled dogs since the age of 8. After learning about it from a cartoon he never stopped chasing his dream of running Iditarod.
- Musher: Dana, running dogs for five years. Dana mainly tours and trains the dogs. She plans on competing this next winter.
- Handler/Mushers: Nichole and Claire, both started winter of 2015. Both have caught on fast and run sled dog teams very well! Claire has lived in a 12 ft diameter yurt completely off the grid for an entire year to be close to the ranch and the dogs!
- Jr Musher: Gracie, has won K-9 Challenge 4-dog class! Competitive sled dog race here in Utah. Gracie started with us when she was in the third grade. She is now 14 and still racing strong!
Our camps are structured to really give our campers, Jr Mushers, a hands on experience. We will give an in depth view on what we do on a day-to-day basis. We will teach what exactly it takes to take care of and train a sled dog. Each Jr Musher will be assigned a dog as their camp buddy. Jr Mushers, will need to hydrate, feed, assist with checking dog’s range of motion, harness and hitch the sled dog to our summer cart! We will also teach basic outdoor survival skills that every Musher needs to run a successful dog sled team and get through all obstacles that come about on the trail!
Over the past few summers we ran our camps from 8 am to 1 pm Monday thru Thursday. We have noticed that the day heats up faster than we can get all of our campers out for a dog cart ride. The heat is a challenge for the dogs. We will now run our camps from 4 pm to 7-8 pm Monday thru Thursday. As the afternoon transitions to evening, the cooler it gets and the easier it is on our furry kids!
- Day 1- Dog Sledding 101: Jr Mushers will meet Mushers and dogs. Learn about all of our equipment, summer and winter sled, harnesses, ganglines. Jr Musher will learn dogs names and the different types of dog breeds (racing or touring breeds) that we mainly use.
- Day 2- Jr Musher dryland tour! We will get out and take the dogs out for a dryland run. We will prep the dogs, hydrating, harnessing, and hitching the dogs to the cart for take off. We will also train our yearlings. They will work on trail focus and learning commands. Jr Musher will learn how we train our dogs on the run!
- Day 3- Outdoor survival skills. Campers will learn about the importance of being aware of your surrounds. On the trail, it is always important to pay attention to everything around you to avoid any trouble. We will hike Rancho Luna Lobos with the dogs and scout for deer, elk and fox tracks. Jr Mushers will learn to make homemade leashes and collars for the dogs. This is a great exercise to get campers to think “outside the box” and problem solve with outdoor activities.
- Day 4- Out for another summer dog sled run! Mushers and Jr Mushers will take the dogs out for a dryland tour. We will bring dogs along that need more work and focus so that they too can possibly run Iditarod! Jr Musher certificates will be issued!!
***Depending on time and weather we may need to alter the schedule. Parents and campers will be notified before camp day. Each camper will be responsible for lunches and snacks. Luna Lobos will provide water and small snacks. ***
We will meet at our ranch, Rancho Luna Lobos, everyday. It is located at:
4733 W Browns Canyon Rd
Peoa UT, 84061
Rancho Luna Lobos is roughly 15 minutes East of Park Avenue in Park City.
Please call us at 435.783.3473 or email us at email@example.com for any questions!!
Thank you again!
Luna Lobos Dog Sledding!!
Call 435 714 0408 or 435 714
0411 OR email Mountainrunnerut@gmail.com